Top knots are my thing! It’s my version of “mom hair”.
Some days my hair is so matted from wearing the same top knot for 3 days in a row, I vow never to wear a bun after combing the knots out. But I still go on my bun binges so I don’t really mind.
The secret to a good top knot is using 3-4 elastics. I have heavy, course, thick hair so without the multiple elastics my buns fall out-of-place.
Here are 5 steps to the perfect top knot:
- Pull your hair up into a high ponytail.
- Divide your ponytail into 2 sections.
- Tie a knot with the two sections of hair.
- Tuck both loose ends of the knot under your bun, secure with 2 (or more) elastics.
- Spritz your bun with the Volumizing Mist for extra hold and lift.
If I want my bun to be extra secured I use bobby pins, and if you have heavy or thick hair I highly recommended this curly bobby pin.
I just discovered these amazing elastics that claim to eliminate the need for bobby pins, so I’ll keep you up to date when they arrive and if they do what they say!